Full-Time, Temporary (6 months)
National Lawyers Guild (NLG) National Office
New York, New York
About the NLG: The NLG is dedicated to the need for basic change in the structure of our political and economic system. We seek to unite lawyers, law students, legal workers, and jailhouse lawyers to function as an effective force in the service of the people, to the end that human rights and the rights of ecosystems shall be regarded as more sacred than property interests.
The NLG is seeking a full-time (35 hours a week) Program Assistant to perform administrative duties to support communications, the mass defense (protest support) program, and other programming efforts as needed. Working closely with our Director of Communications and Director of Mass Defense, the Program Assistant will support the day-to-day workload of office staff.
This temporary position with a six-month term requires a detail-oriented person with strong communication skills and the ability to work well in a small, collaborative office environment. The ability to complete intricate, sometimes tedious tasks is essential. Experience working with Adobe InDesign (or similar programs), CiviCRM (or other customer relationship management platforms), and WordPress is preferred. Although the position will begin largely remotely, we are only considering applicants based in the New York City Metro area. Some responsibilities require working out of our Ridgewood, NY office.
The Program Assistant provides support to the following areas:
COMMUNICATIONS (approximately 60%)
with guidance from the Director of Communications
- Schedule National Office posts on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Reshare posts by NLG chapters and committees
- Assist with tracking social media analytics
- Proofread and copyedit newsletter articles for publication
- Transcribe handwritten articles and poetry by people in prison
- Add newsletter and law journal issues to website
- Assist with formatting in InDesign
- Schedule programming in Zoom and coordinate logistics with panelists
- Assist with promotion
- Add and organize content
- Update job board
- Update news
with guidance from Operations Director
- Assist with donor acknowledgement
- Assist with mailings, including fundraising solicitations and Prison Law Program correspondence
MASS DEFENSE (approximately 40%)
- Field inquiries related to the mass defense program
- Assist Director of Mass Defense with completing various administrative tasks, coordinating chapter needs such as legal observer trainings, and distributing manuals and other materials
- Fulfill merchandise orders with guidance from Operations Director
- 1-3 years office experience
- Demonstrated ability to present independent work and problem solving in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent organizational and time management skills including ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external constituencies
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, G Suite, WordPress, Adobe InDesign and CiviCRM preferred
- A commitment to social justice movements
- Meticulous attention to detail
The work environment described here is representative of what an employee will encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with different abilities to perform the essential functions.
- Job largely takes place remotely, with virtual collaboration with other staff. Must be able to participate in online virtual communications including email and video conferencing used to facilitate virtual office culture and work sharing.
- This position is full time (35 hours a week). The National Office hours are 10:30am – 5:30pm ET, Monday to Friday. Occasional work on evenings and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to conduct business in English; however, fluency in languages other than English is a plus.
- Some work at off-site locations required (i.e., order fulfillment at Ridgewood, NY office, dropping off packages at shipping centers); the NLG aims for accessibility and safety in any off-site location. Social distancing and mask-wearing required in any space with other employees.
- This role requires occasional lifting and carrying of packages under 25 lbs.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and phones. Employee is regularly required to communicate effectively via computer and phone. A reliable internet connection is necessary.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a temporary, 35 hour/week position with a salary of $25,000 for six months. Health insurance is available upon request.
How to Apply:
Candidates should submit a letter of interest and a resume in PDF format to email@example.com by Sunday, October 4th, 2020.
The National Lawyers Guild is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Black, Indigenous, and people of color, trans people, women, people who have lived in poverty, people with disabilities, immigrants, lesbian, gay, bisexual and queer people, and formally incarcerated people are strongly encouraged to apply.