Why become an NLG member?
- Free listing in our national referral directory
- Access to members only content on nlg.org (e.g. webinars, organizing tools, and other resources)
- Ability to take part in conversations on member-only email lists for committees, chapters, and regions
- Eligibility to vote in Guild elections and propose organizational resolutions
- Eligibility to apply for fellowships, such the Weinglass and Haywood Burns Memorial Fellowships
- Discounts for our annual Law for the People Convention and its CLEs
- Subscriptions to our publications, Guild Notes and NLG Review, and eligibility to submit articles to both
- Media exposure for your Guild-related work
- Most importantly, developing connections with a community of radical legal professionals!
Where do your membership dues go?
A portion of your dues goes to sustaining the National Office, and these dollars are what keep the organization going by helping us produce publications, coordinate the annual convention, and organize national campaigns. We are proudly 100% membership funded, which means we are grassroots and member driven. The other portion of membership dues are redistributed to local chapters and region to facilitate on-the-ground work and convenings like Regional Conventions.
What does being a NLG member mean?
As a member of the National Lawyers Guild, you join thousands of others who have dedicated their lives and careers to the proposition that the law should serve the people. You help determine the direction of the Guild, and you help make us a stronger community of like-minded individuals working for social change. Each lawyer, law student, legal worker or jailhouse lawyer who joins our ranks brings us another step closer to a just world. We benefit from both the stability and experience of our long-standing members and from the vitality of our newer members who carry on our legacy with a sense of urgency and energy. While the Guild has grown older and wiser, our nation’s leaders have not. The Guild is a dynamic, living organization made up of members who never stop challenging themselves and who never rest in their quest for justice.
As a member of the Guild, your work puts the power of the law back into the hands of the people. Contact the national membership director if you have any questions or ideas you would like to share.
Check out our membership brochure below or download PDF: