Every spring, the NLG organizes regional conferences to bring together attorneys, law students, legal workers, allies and activists across the country. Featuring panels, trainings, workshops, and social events on topics of interest to the progressive and radical legal community, regional conferences also provide the opportunity to build community and strategize for the struggles ahead.
Texoma / September 14 / Abel’s on the Lake – Austin, TX
Noon-6:30 PM – FREE / 4.5 hours of CLE credit with 1.5 ethics
- Immigration panel featuring attorneys working to end family separation
- NLG attorney Pam Starsia on her anti-racist work after Charlottesville
- Mass defense panel featuring attorneys and activists involved with movement demonstration
Mid-Atlantic / April 14 /University of Baltimore John and Frances Angelos Law Center
1401 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
Join us on Saturday, April 14, 2018 from 9 AM to 4 PM. for the NLG Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference in Baltimore, Maryland, hosted by the Maryland Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild.
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Karsonya (“Kaye”) Wise Whitehead, Associate Professor, African & African American Studies, Loyola University, Baltimore, Maryland – author of RaceBrave (2016) and other books – host of daily public radio program, Today with Dr. Kaye
Conference Workshops: advanced legal observer training, inner city housing issues, home evictions for unpaid water bills in Baltimore City, pre-emptive policing of Muslim groups in D.C., law student disorientation, the N. Korean threat, Freedom of Information Act in the Trump era, and more
Food: continental breakfast and buffet luncheon included in Conference fee
Post-Conference Freddie Gray/West Baltimore Uprising Bus Tour: a bus tour of significant locations of the West Baltimore Uprising and the trail of Freddie Gray’s “rough ride” in police custody that led to his death. (Separate registration and fee required.) Tour led by residents of the West Baltimore community and Marshall “Eddie” Conway, social activist, former Black Panthers leader, and former political prisoner who served 40 years in prison for a crime he did not commit
Southern Regional: Atlanta, GA / March 23-25 / Georgia State University School of Law
1. Volunteer Activity*: Help out at the Family Preparedness Clinic – Helping refugee/immigration families potentially facing deportation fill out legal papers like Power of Attorney, assigning guardianship etc. . The number of ICE arrests has increased by 75% since last year.
Some articles on it here and here.
3. Legal Observing: Train the Trainer