Next deadline for submissions: Monday, November 12, 2018 (Winter 2018)
Submit to Guild Notes! Guild Notes is the official, triannual newsletter of the National Lawyers Guild. Each publication includes news from our members, committees, and chapters nationwide. Since 2015, the Beyond Bars column features the writing, artwork, and poetry of NLG jailhouse lawyers.
Guild Notes Submission Guidelines & Instructions
- Your article must directly pertain to NLG work. If your piece doesn’t directly connected to the NLG, does not involve Guild members, and/or presents no way for Guild members to get involved, it is not appropriate for Guild Notes. (Legal and political essays can be submitted to the NLG Review at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- All submissions must be in MS Word-compatible formats (.rtf, .doc, and .docx ) and sent as attachments to email@example.com, indicating “GUILD NOTES SUBMISSION” in the subject line. Please do not send articles in the body of an email.
- Articles must not exceed the 600 word limit. Articles over 600 words will be returned to you for editing.
- Articles may be edited for length, grammatical errors, and readability, but no substantive changes to content will be made.
- Photos (especially high-res) are strongly encouraged! We strive to make our publications both visually appealing and informative, so if you have photos, please send them along even if you are not writing an article. Each photo that’s submitted should be 250+ dpi (including those taken with a mobile device) and must be accompanied by photo credit (i.e. name of photographer) and a suggested caption.
- Deadlines: Submission deadlines are listed on the inside cover of every issue of Guild Notes and posted to this webpage. Late submissions will not be accepted, but may be considered for the NLG blog and/or distributed via NLG social media. Please feel free to send articles sooner than the deadline, as this helps expedite the production process.
As the only bar association in the country with Jailhouse Lawyer membership, we’re excited to announce “Beyond Bars,” a new series of articles, poetry and artwork appearing in each issue of Guild Notes by people in prison. “Beyond Bars” aims to provide people in prison with an outlet for political and artistic expression while shedding light on the country’s broken, inhumane, and racist criminal (in)justice system.
“Beyond Bars” Submission Guidelines
- Submissions must relate to the issue of prison, prisoners’ rights, or mass incarceration in some way. While we will not publish writing detailing the writer’s own legal case, drawing upon personal experience as an illustration of a broader topic is encouraged.
- Hand-written submissions must be printed clearly and sent to: Attn: GUILD NOTES SUBMISSION, 132 Nassau St. Rm 922, New York, NY 10038. Writings submitted via email may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “GUILD NOTES SUBMISSION.”
- Please keep your articles to the word limit of 600 words if you plan to include images or artwork.
- Always include a suggested title for your writing or artwork. Submissions may be written anonymously, or under a pseudonym.
- In addition to publication in Guild Notes, submissions may be considered for online publication (e.g. NLG blog, social media).
- Please indicate whether or not you wish to have your contact information published alongside your articles and/or artwork.
- While all submissions will be considered for publication, there is no guarantee of publication.
- Articles may be edited for grammatical accuracy and readability, but no substantive changes to content will be made.
- Anyone in prison, regardless of NLG membership status, may submit writing and/or artwork for publication consideration.