UPDATE 7/17/20: The recorded webinar is available for streaming here.
Date: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 — 7 pm ET/4 pm PT
Description: This program will involve a discussion of current and historical federal harassment of both activists and lawyers working for social change; the unmet needs of both activists and lawyers in many parts of the US and how legal workers can bridge the gaps; and both ethical and practical advice on shielding your clients and yourself from state repression, including how to advise and litigate on behalf of clients to challenge the legitimacy of grand jury subpoenas.
- Marques Banks: attorney, founder of Black Movement Law Project, addresses the criminalization of poverty
- Moira Meltzer-Cohen: movement attorney and legal educator concerned with advocacy for incarcerated trans persons and political prisoners
- Lamis Deek: human rights attorney, advocate and strategist focusing on Palestinian rights
- Soffiyah Elijah: advocate, attorney, scholar, educator, and Executive Director of the Alliance of Families for Justice
- Marty Stolar (Moderator): civil rights attorney, grand jury litigator, and subject of grand jury subpoena case In re Stolar
- Katie Yow: legal worker, social worker, anti-repression educator working with criminalized people in the American South
CLE Credit: Traditional Format/Transitional for both newly admitted and experienced attorneys. Under CLE regulations, credit will be offered only to those attorneys completing entire program; attorneys attending only part of the program are not eligible for CLE credit. Certificates will be sent upon receipt of completed verification of attendance form following the program. (1 NY CLE Credit in Skills, and .5 in Ethics)
The New York City Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild has been certified by the New York State Continuing Legal Education Board as an Accredited Provider of Continuing Legal Education in New York State. Attorneys in other states that have reciprocity may seek credit in their state.
Presented by: NLG-NYC and the NLG National Office