April 21, 2015: Letter from NLG to Indonesian President Joko Widodo against the death sentence of Mary Jane Veloso.
- #BlackLivesMatter: NLG stands in solidarity with movement against racist police violence (p. 8-12)
- St. Louis NLG files lawsuit to oust Ferguson prosecutor (p. 9)
- NLG-Mass. galvanizes legal community for state-wide #BlackLivesMatter day of action (p. 11)
- The Guild supports Walmart employees’ fight for a living wage (p. 5)
- National Office launches first-of-its-kind Radical Law Student Manual (p. 14)
- Meet the 2015 NLG Haywood Burns Fellows (p. 15)
The National Lawyers Guild (NLG) urges Florida Governor Rick Scott to stay Robert Henry’s execution, scheduled for March 20. Given lack of medical support for a new protocol for lethal injections in Florida, the practice of using Midazolam, a drug not approved by the FDA, appears to be inhumane and in violation of the U.S. Constitution’s Eighth Amendment’s prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment.
Each year on March 1, NLG student members come together at over 100 law schools across the country for the Student Day Against the Death Penalty (SDADP) a day of education about and protest against capital punishment coordinated by the NLG National Office.