The National Lawyers Guild writes to express its opposition to the nomination of John Brennan to head the Central Intelligence Agency. As President Obama’s current counter-terrorism adviser, Brennan bears responsibility for the administration’s drone program, which is killing civilians and sowing anti-American sentiment throughout the world. Brennan also stands accused of having detailed, contemporaneous knowledge of the use of “enhanced interrogation techniques” on captured terrorism suspects during the Bush administration. The impact and legality of the drone program and the extent of Brennan’s involvement in the Bush torture program should be central questions at his Senate Intelligence Committee confirmation hearing.
The National Lawyers Guild calls for an immediate halt to the Israeli bombardment of Gaza and demands that the U.S. government immediately cease all aid to Israel. The NLG calls for further action by the U.N. Security Council, General Assembly, and Human Rights Council to protect the civilian population of Gaza, to oppose the bombardment, and to oppose any further escalation.
Included in Volume 37, Issue Number 1:
- One law student's first legal observing experience on day one of Occupy Wall Street
- Occupy updates from New York, DC, Chicago, and the Bay Area
- Tennessee NLGers protest Alberto Gonzales
- A history of legal workers in the NLG
- Mumia, off of death row
- The Meikeljohn Institute continues the work of Guild founders
- Venezuela election observing