Although pre-registration is closed, there's still plenty of room for more members and activists to participate, so PLEASE PLAN TO JOIN US October 23 - 27 and you can register IN PERSON in San Juan.
* * *
Pre-registration is closed. But's it's not too late to make your plans to attend this historic convention. We will be registering people on site at the convention.
The convention will take place from October 23-27 at the Condado Plaza Hilton Hotel in the Condado neighborhood of San Juan. To see a full schedule as well as information on excursion opportunities, check out our convention brochure. For more on the Puerto Rican political situation in 2013, take a look at this article from the spring issue of Guild Notes.
2013 NLG Honorees:
Judith Berkan and Jan Susler, both long-time NLG members, will receive the Law for the People Award for their impotant work for the Puerto Rican independista movement.
- Jonathan Moore will recieve the Goodman Award. He is a long-time police misconduct lawyer and an attorney in the suit successfully challenging "stop and frisk" tactics in New York.
- Ann Fagan Ginger will receive the Deborah Evenson Venceremos International Award for her years of service and legendary initiatives bringing an international perspective to legal work in the U.S.
- Bacilio Mendez II, co-chair of the Queer Caucus, will recieve the Legal Worker Award.
- Claire White will receive the CB King Award for her leadership as a Guild student.
- Cecillia Wang, Director of the ACLU Immigrants' Rights Project, will recieve the Carol King Award in recognition of her outstanding litigation and advocacy in defending and expanding immigrants' rights.
The convention will also feature several unique opportunities to explore Puerto Rican culture with walking tours and trips. Hotel and travel details are below.
Condado Plaza Hilton - (Book Online)
999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan, 00907, Puerto Rico
NLG Group Rate: $179/night*
Use the code "ACRE" when making your reservation to get the discounted rate. Call if you have trouble booking online. Reservations require a deposit of one night's payment plux tax. Cancelations must be made with at least 72 hours notice.
*NOTE: The initial block with the group rate of $129 has sold out. While the hotel was not willing/able to add additional rooms at that price, we were able to secure a group of rooms at a negotiated rate of $179/night (each room has two beds). These are going fast. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Here are some other (union) hotel options (the rates for Thursday through Saturday were checked in September, so these are NOT guaranteed rates, nor guaranteed availability).
Additional Hotel Information:
San Juan Beach Hotel-a little over a quarter mile walk to convention
1045 Ashford Ave
around an average of $110/night plus tax
Things to do in San Juan:
Additionally, here is a list of Gay and Gay friendly bars in San Juan
Send requests to Nicole Diaz by October 4 at nicole.marie.diaz [at] gmail.com. Please include any allergy or accessibility needs.
Requests for childcare should be sent with dates and time to Mariana Nogales at mariana.nogales [at] gmail.com no later than October 4.
Spread the word through the convention's Facebook event page.